Rooibos tea also know as Red Bush is an edible herb that was formerly enjoyed by the Khoisans.
Rooibos has been consumed for it’s health properties since the first basic method of leaving the plant out in the sun to dry, bruised and crushed into a liquid drink that would soon later develop a more refined processing method. It served all intensive purposes when the price of importing black tea from Europe was far too excessive during South Africa’s colonisation.
There are so many reasons why you should drink Rooibos tea as it’s compact full of health benefits which is great for anyone that is a TeAthlete like myself or is very ideal if you are looking for something that soothes the edge off your ordinary cup of English tea but is free from caffeine.
Here is to some of the many reasons why you should drink Rooibos tea.
Health Properties of Rooibos
- Naturally Rooibos tea is very low in Tannins. For those that are unsure what a Tannin is, it is a compound that has built a bad reputation of inhibiting the absorption of Iron. Equally though, Tannins are very good with helping to slowly absorb caffeine into the blood which is why black tea gives you that gentle wake up call.
- Rooibos has an antioxidant known as Aspalathin that helps to balance out the blood sugar in Type II diabetics and reduce Insulin resistance.
- There are rich amounts of Manganese, Fluoride and Calcium in tea that each play an important role. Fluoride is commonly found in most toothpastes and is good for dental health. Calcium supports the maintenance of healthy strong bones and teeth, whilst Manganese stimulates the enzymes in building bone mass and repairing damage. In a way, each of these minerals complement each other.
Rooibos Tea Blends
Rooibos tea is a versatile drink that is well mixed with other blends. A personal favourite of mine is mixing together some chai with a drop of milk for that delicately sweet but yet spicy tasting experience. Here are some more blending ideas that you can try for yourself.
- Rooibos & Lemongrass
- Chocolate Mint & Rooibos
- Earl Grey Rooibos
- Rooibos, Orange Peel and Lemon Zest
- Rooibos with Cinnamon and a drop of full fat milk
- Caramel Cream Rooibos
- Rooibos Strawberry & Vanilla
These are just a few ideas that you can play around with.
We currently have Early Grey Rooibos as a blend in store and will be launching Mr Tea’s Tea blending club very soon where you can get a blend delivered to your door on a regular basis.
Rooibos tea is a personal favourite tea of mine and I would recommend anyone to give it a go. You can even give some to your pets because of the no caffeine content.
If you would like to get a complimentary cup follow the hyperlink on the bottom of this post and don’t forget to follow me on instagram to keep informed with the latest updates.
Live in the UK and want to try a cup of tea on the house? Then it would be in your best interest to sign up to the Lovely Tea Tea’s mailing service right here